Free Online Certification Courses To Improve Your Skills
Professional certifications are highly valuable as they demonstrate your expertise in a specific skill, tool, or subject area. The availability of free certification programs makes it easier to access learning opportunities and pursue career development options without significant financial burden. Familiarizing yourself with the range of free certifications can help you identify credentials that support your professional growth.
In this article, we will discuss the importance of online certifications, the benefits of free online certifications, 16 certifications you can pursue, and how to effectively showcase them on your resume.
Importance of Online Certifications
Online certifications play a crucial role in developing new career and life skills, enhancing your resume, and improving your job prospects at no additional cost. Many online certification programs involve completing courses, which can be an excellent way to further develop existing skills or acquire new ones. These certifications also provide third-party validation of your knowledge, strengthening your resume’s credibility.
By earning certifications, you can enhance your qualifications, making a positive impression on hiring managers. Certifications may also expand your job opportunities by providing you with the necessary qualifications to apply for a wider range of roles or securing your desired position.
Benefits of Free Online Certifications
Here are some key benefits of pursuing free online certifications:
- Accessibility: Free online courses and certifications are easily accessible, and many offer self-paced learning and quizzes. This flexibility allows learners to earn certifications from anywhere and complete assignments based on their preferred timeline.
- Affordability: Professional development courses and certifications from various organizations can be expensive. However, free online certifications remove the financial barrier, enabling learners of all backgrounds to pursue these valuable credentials.
- Certification Levels: Many organizations offer certifications for all skill levels, encouraging individuals to continue their learning journey regardless of their current expertise. This ensures that learners can choose certifications aligned with their experience, whether starting as beginners or advancing to higher levels.
- Efficiency: Online certifications often follow an efficient and convenient process. Some programs involve self-paced courses, allowing participants to acquire new skills more rapidly and accommodate their busy schedules effectively.
- Instructors: Free certification courses provide the opportunity to learn from industry experts who bring their extensive knowledge and insights to the table. These instructors can offer valuable guidance and advice on navigating careers and improving skill sets, enhancing the learning experience.
- Variety: Certifications are available across various industries, encompassing numerous specialties within each field. This allows learners to choose certifications that align with their experience and career goals, ensuring relevance and applicability.
By leveraging the benefits of free online certifications, you can expand your skill set, improve your employability, and stay ahead in the competitive job market.
In conclusion, online certifications hold significant importance in professional development, and free certifications offer accessibility, affordability, certification options for different skill levels, efficiency, expert instruction, and a wide range of choices. Take advantage of these opportunities to enhance your career prospects and showcase your expertise effectively.
16 free online certifications to consider
Here are some examples of free online courses and certifications in different industries to consider pursuing:
A few examples of certifications in marketing to consider earning include:
1. HubSpot Inbound Marketing Certification
The HubSpot Inbound Marketing Certification course discusses the basics of digital marketing. Earning this certification may demonstrate your knowledge of inbound marketing strategies and your ability to apply them to help organizations grow and succeed. The lessons in this HubSpot Academy course help you learn about:
- Content strategy
- Conversion optimization strategy
- Search marketing optimization (SEO)
- Social media promotion
2. Web design by Udemy
Udemy is a popular platform for completing online courses. The Web Design for Web Developers: Build Beautiful Websites course is a free hour-long course about the fundamentals of basic website design and provides certificates of completion if you pay a fee. The course discusses topics like:
3. Google Ads Certification
Google offers a range of Google Ads Certifications through its Skillshop training platform. These certifications provide free study resources before you complete questions on a timed test. Some of the specific certifications available include:
- Google Ads Apps Certification
- Google Ads Display Certification
- Google Ads Measurement Certification
- Google Ads Search Certification
- Google Ads Video Certification
- Shopping Ads Certification
4. Google Fundamentals of Digital Marketing
Google offers the Fundamentals of Digital Marketing through its Google Digital Garage. This free program offers 26 modules in a self-paced learning format to complete before taking a final exam to receive a certification. It includes practical exercises and examples to help you apply your digital marketing knowledge. Topics discussed in this course include:
- Analytics and data insights
- Business strategy
- Content marketing
- Display advertising
- Email marketing
- Local marketing
- Search engine marketing (SEM)
- Social media
- Web optimization
5. Google Analytics Academy Courses
Google offers a range of certifications through its Analytics Academy. Courses vary based on your skill level, and each includes lessons with videos explaining the topics, allowing you to enjoy self-paced learning. Each course also includes an assessment to pass and earn your certification. Certifications available through the Analytics Academy include:
- Google Analytics for Beginners
- Advanced Google Analytics
- Google Analytics for Power Users
- Getting Started with Google Analytics 360
Google also offers two other courses through its Analytics Academy. The first is the Introduction to Data Studio, which helps beginners learn about connecting data and creating reports in Data Studio. The other is Google Tag Manager Fundamentals, which reviews how Google Tag Manager may help simplify the process of implementing and managing tags.
Technology and computer science certifications
Here are some examples of certifications in technology and computer science to consider earning:
6. freeCodeCamp certifications
freeCodeCamp offers many free certifications in different coding languages, helping you develop an in-demand technical skill. These free certification programs provide step-by-step learning opportunities and allow you to practice your skills by working on open-source projects for nonprofit organizations. freeCodeCamp offers beginner-level coding certifications in languages like:
- Python for Everybody Specialization
7. AWS certification
Amazon offers free digital training and entry-level certification for Amazon Web Services (AWS). AWS is Amazon’s cloud computing program that many companies use across several industries. The program provides courses to learn about the fundamentals of the platform.
8. IBM Data Science Professional Certificate
Coursea offers a free course and certificate for the IBM Data Science Professional Certificate. This certificate focuses on developing skills, education and experience related to machine learning and data science, and it provides the opportunity to gain practical experience and use the latest tools. Topics discussed in this course include:
- Data analysis
- Data visualization
- Machine learning algorithms
- Open-source tools and libraries
- Predictive modeling
9. CS50’s Introduction to Computer Science
CS50’s Introduction to Computer Science is an entry-level computer science course Harvard University provides. The self-paced course includes 12 weeks of learning that explore thinking algorithmically and solving problems efficiently. It discusses topics like:
- C language
- Computer science and programming
- Concepts abstraction
- Data structures
- Software engineering
- Web development
10. Google IT Automation with Python Professional Certificate
The Google IT Automation with Python Professional Certificate is an entry-level course and certificate. This in-depth course requires approximately six to eight months to complete, and it includes six courses on Python, Git and GitHub to help you develop practical IT skills. Each course includes self-paced online learning and requires you to complete projects to earn your certification.
Here are some examples of certifications that may be beneficial to earn for a variety of industries:
11. Massive Open Online Courses
Many universities offer Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs). Enrolling in a MOOC allows you to develop skills related to your industry, and some courses may provide you with a formal credential if you pay a small fee. Some popular MOOC course areas include:
- Business and management
- Computer science
- Data science
- Big data
12. Alison’s certification in supervision skills
Alison is another popular platform for free training courses and certifications. Pursuing the certification in supervision skills may be beneficial if you’re hoping to earn a promotion or recently became a manager. It discusses topics like conflict resolution strategies and techniques for improving your leadership skills.
13. FEMA certifications
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) offers a range of free online certifications and courses through its Emergency Management Institute (EMI). Each course includes a self-paced learning style. These certifications may help people with emergency-management responsibilities as part of their job or prepare people responsible for handling emergencies at work.
14. edX Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economies program
edX partners with various institutions to provide courses related to professional certifications. The Entrepreneurship in Emerging Economics program is a free course with the option to pay a fee for a certificate upon finishing the course. This course includes six weeks of self-paced learning, and it focuses on identifying beneficial entrepreneurial opportunities and solving problems in societies with emerging economies.
15. The Science of Well-Being
The Science of Well-Being is a professional and personal development course about happiness. The course focuses on finding your inner happiness, developing healthier habits and improving your productivity. You receive a certificate at the end, and completing this program may help you improve your productivity, allowing you to feel less stressed and more satisfied in your career and personal life.
16. Child Nutrition and Cooking
Stanford University offers several online, self-paced courses to learners for free. There’s a vast library of course topics you can browse. One course the Stanford School of Medicine offers for free, the Child Nutrition and Cooking class, can be helpful to parents, guardians and caregivers. If you’re a parent or working with children as a nanny or babysitter, you may find this five-week course beneficial in learning how to appeal to children’s appetites while providing them with their required nutrition.
You can learn about helpful topics and life skills, such as:
- Childhood obesity
- Healthy diets for children and adults
- Ways to prepare simple and tasty meals at home
Please note that none of the companies mentioned in this article are affiliated with Indeed.